City of Riverside, Iowa

Where the Trek Begins
Photo montage: butterfly, bicyclists on a trail, a father and daughter playing outside, and sunflowers

Frequently Asked Questions


 What are City Hall's office hours?

Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

 What is the recycling pick up schedule?

Recylce containers are emptied every Tuesday which is also trash day

 Who do I contact to rent a park shelter or the Community Building

Contact City Hall during normal business hours.

Download forms on-line and drop off with payment at City Hall.

 ACH Payment of water bills

There is a link on the Home page for the form required to have us automatically deduct your water bill from your checking account.

 Branch and Twigs Pick Up

Branches and twigs will be picked up curb side the 1st Wednesday of every month April through November. If a severe winter storm causes tree damage the City will announce a date for the pick up. This is intended for yard waste such as leaves, grass clippings, flower stems or any garden refuse.

 Building Permits

It is always best to check with CIty Hall prior to begining a project that may require a building permit. There is a information link at the bottom of the home page concerning building permits

 New Residents

Water and sewer services are supplied by the City of Riverside. There is a $100 deposit upon connection and a monthly charge.  The property owner is responsible for water and sewer lines to the main. Water and sewer bills are sent on the 1st and due by the 15th of the month. You may pay your bill at People's bank, by mail (PO Box 188), or in the drop box located by the front door at City Hall.

Refuse collection is contracted out, and pick-up is curbside each Tuesday beginning at 7 a.m.  The rate for recycling is currently $5.25/month and will appear on your water bill. The recyclables, cardboard, tin, glass, plastic, and metal  may be placed in the red curbside bin and newspapers, magazines, junk mail, etc., in the green bin which is supplied to each property.  If you do not have bins, contact your landlord or City Hall. All existing properties should already have recycling bins.

Garbage is handled through a sticker system. Stickers are currently $1.25/sticker.  A sticker should be affixed to each bag, or one sticker may be affixed to the top bag in a 20-gallon garbage container. Stickers are available at Casey's General Store and City Hall.

Yard waste pickup is handled through a sticker system. Stickers are currently $1.25/sticker. A sticker should be affixed to each bag. Yard waste is deemed grass, small twigs, and garden waste. Open burning is permitted for yard waste and recreational activities. Please contact City Hall regarding any questions you may have on city ordinances.

Fees for building permits vary depending upon proposed project.  The process for approval is as follows: submit plans of proposed project, including property lines, to the City Clerk); complete and sign permit application and builder’s agreement; the City's Building Inspector will inspect and approve plans if okay and attach appropriate fees; City Council will vote on approval at the next Council meeting. Once the fee is paid and City Council approves permit, construction may begin. Fines may be imposed if construction is started before permit is approved or if occupancy is allowed before city approves structure. It is the builder's responsibility  to inform CA/C when project is ready for inspection. The Planning and Zoning Commission set property lines and property uses, and copies are available at City Hall. Some examples of projects requiring permits are homes, garages, permanent sheds, patios, or additions, which change the roofline of a home and patios or additions which do not change the roofline of a home. If you are unsure whether your project requires a permit, inquire at City Hall.

The City Council meets monthly the first and third Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall, 60 North Greene Street.  If the Monday falls on a holiday, the alternate date will be posted.  Agendas for council meetings will be posted in the glass window outside City Hall.

Riverside has a volunteer Fire Department and First Responders with trained EMT's. Dial 911 in case of an emergency.

Riverside residents can support the Washington County animal shelter, PAWS & More, through the "add a dollar" program collected through your water bill. You may call City Hall and request participation. PAWS & More is a private, non-profit organization that survives primarily on adoption fees, donations, and fundraising activities.

Riverside contracts with the Kalona Public Library for library service, and this allows Riverside residents to use the Kalona, Coralville, and Iowa City libraries at no charge. Residents may first obtain a card at Kalona or present a photo ID with a Riverside address at the Iowa City and Coralville libraries to receive a card.

Following are the utility companies and other useful telephone numbers for Riverside Residents:

Electric is Alliant Utilities

REC (Eastern IA Light & Power)

800-822-4348 or


Gas is MidAmerican Energy


Cable ( Internet) is Mediacom


Phone service (Internet) is IA Telecom


Riverside Post office


Riverside Community Building


Newspaper is Riverside Current


Police-Washington Co. Safety Center


Emergency response



The City of Riverside invites all new residents to stop by City hall and pick up a "Welcome to Riverside" gift bag. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.

 City Council Meetings

The Council meets the first and third Monday of each Month
Official Website of Riverside, Iowa. Copyright 2012 All Rights Reserved